Here I Stand

Here I Stand

Thursday, October 7, 2010

A little about me

So, with my first post out of the way – something of a brief and rather vague synopsis of who I am and what I stand for – I figured I should go into a bit more detail of my background, and some reasons why you should care what I have to say (other than just simply being entertaining).

As I have said before, I am 27 years old and have spent more or less my entire adult life in service to our nation. I was an Army paratrooper and served 15 months in central Baghdad during the surge, as well as duty in Central and South America, but that is simply a caveat. A bit of a background to let you know why I have some of the opinions that I do. I have known too many people who's uniformed service has defined everything in their life, and I will not allow it to be the final chapter in mine.

I have completed two semesters of my MBA and should be finishing up within the next year or two. Sounds like I have it together, right? But one of the main reasons for going to graduate school out of the Army is to actually figure out what it is I want to do with myself.

I have made enough mistakes in my life to know that anyone who claims to have no regrets simply hasn't taken enough risks.

I invest what little capital I can scrounge up, and watch the market like a hawk, with my own semi-informed opinions on everything. It's like playing blackjack or craps, though without nearly the instant gratification – only the occasional gambler's remorse.

My current adventure finds me far away from my home, Pensacola, Florida, and in completely foreign surroundings... Newport Beach, California. I have yet to find steady work (though being freelance EVERYTHING has its perks) and have a brief hiatus before classes start back up. I am here with a deep south set of ideals and values trying to figure out which way is up since landing on the “left coast.” Basically I am experiencing an average, every day life in America almost as if I were an outsider looking in.

No comments:

Post a Comment