Here I Stand

Here I Stand

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Sartorial Options

Since starting my new position as Lead Editor at Cigar & Spirits Magazine a few months ago, I have been making various tweaks and changes in my business wardrobe. Tailored suits and ties are great for more formal meetings with investors, while work attire (which is typically accompanied by a fine cigar and a glass of scotch… I know, our office culture is brutal) is usually khaki’s or jeans and a button down. What I am looking for is the in between: Something for client meetings, industry events, tastings, and the like. This is a relatively informal business, but it is still a business. I need something classy, sophisticated, yet not pretentious. Casual enough to keep people at their ease, but polished enough to be taken seriously. I have played with the idea of sport coats with my slacks, but they always leave me feeling a bit too old fashioned, and typically have more of a country club look. The option that I am leading toward most at the moment is simply pairing my suits with a solid color, or subdued, fitted polo shirt. I have seen this look work well, and again, it is typically the man wearing it that determines if it can be pulled off, but I think it is something to try. True enough, this is commonly a summer look, and works best with lighter colored suits and a bit of color on the polo (no logos please) but here in Southern California, the climate lends itself to what could be thought of as spring or summer looks nearly year round. I will try to post pictures of a few options, but I wanted to hear some opinions. I have worked in the fashion industry, and have quite a few contacts whose views I hold in high regard. Thoughts on this?

No comments:

Post a Comment